A Challenge team will need the following equipment:
- Robotics kit – LEGO EV3 MINDSTORMS set, LEGO Education Spike Prime set, MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor or equivalent NXT or RCX are also allowed
- Laptop or Computer
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge set∗
- Robot Game Table
- Team clothes/shirts
Every team needs to buy their own Robotics kit. Teams can decide which one of the following kits they want to use: LEGO EV3 Mindstorms or LEGO Education Spike Prime.
EV3 LEGO Mindstorm
￼EV3 Core set:
- Teams with limited funds, can buy only the Core set, they will be able to build a robot for a FIRST LEGO League season with that. Although they will have limited extra parts and perhaps want to buy an extra sensor. Rechargable battery and charger included
- EV3 Expansion set: Can be bought if you want to build a more complicated robot.
LEGO Education Spike Prime
Spike Prime set:
- Teams with limited funds, can buy only this set, they will be able to do a FIRST LEGO League season with that, although they will have limited extra parts and will perhaps want to buy an extra sensor. Rechargeable battery included.
- Spike Expansion set can be bought if you want to build a more complicated robot.
As from November 2020, the Mindstorms Robot Inventor set can also be used by FIRST Lego League Challenge teams.
These robotics kits can be used for many years, so you don’t have to buy a new one every year.
You can buy these sets from SA LEGO Education retailer: Hands on Technologies.
Computer or Laptop
Every team will need their own Bluetooth enabled computer, tablet or laptop for programming and to do research. Computers or laptops are more suitable for programming because the programs are easier to see on bigger screens.
The programming software is free and can be downloaded from:
For software specifications go to the FAQ page.
FIRST LEGO League Challenge set
Every year there is a new theme, with a new Challenge set. A Challenge set consists of a playing field mat and LEGO mission model blocks. Full building instructions will be given, so that all teams can build the same mission models. Field set-up instructions will also be supplied. Only at the season launch will the Game Rules and Game play be released.
∗ The Challenge set will be included in the full Registration fee
A game table is needed so that the robot can be run safely during practice times. This table must be made to FIRST specifications Challenge Table Build Instructions so that your playing field can fit perfectly into it. The same size tables will be used at competitions as well, so please do your team a favour and make sure your table’s size is correct.
However, if a team does not have a table when they start, they can put their playing field on the floor(smooth surface), against a wall and put some kind of walls (like planks) around the field.
♦ NB. NEVER run a robot on a table that doesn’t have walls or barriers. If the robot runs off the table, the Brick will most likely not survive it and that can be the end of your robot and your team’s Challenge season.
Teams need to show their identity! Most teams just wear specific shirts,(mostly T-shirts or golf-shirts) with their team name, team logo and perhaps each team members name, that they design themselves. Some teams even display the FIRST Season logo. Designs can be printed or hand-drawn. You can print your sponsor’s logo on your clothes, if you receive a sponsorship.
Some teams also do some funny team clothes like weird hats, tails, dresses, costumes, crazy hairdo’s/colours, etc. (Just make sure it is appropriate for competition day.)
Here is a list of materials or other things that a team may need in a First Lego League Challenge season:
- Display/poster boards
- Poster supplies like; coloured pens, coloured or white card boards, prestik, etc.
- Printing for display board??
- Fuel costs for research field trips??
- Decorations for your Pit Area, on competition day
- Materials to build a prototype of their Innovation Project solution
- Materials for team-building activities
- Hand-outs on Competition day(if any)
- Perhaps the occasional cupcakes, chips or pizza.