CHALLENGE GRANTS – 2021
There are 2 Challenge Grant options:
- Class Pack Grant – 30 learners in 5 teams, which must be implemented for 2 classes
- Single team Grant – 10 learners in 1 team
The FIRST Lego League Challenge is a 12 session program for learners 9 -16 years. Each session should be at least an hour and a half in duration.
OPTION 1: CHALLENGE CLASS PACK GRANT
Challenge Class Pack Grants can be implemented at schools or Community Centres, especially in under-served communities. After the 12 sessions, the teams will share their STEM journey with parents, educators and learners, at a FIRST Lego League Challenge Celebration Event at their school or Community Centre. A FIRST SA representative could be invited to the Challenge Celebration Event!
In a class of 30 learners, you could have 5 teams with up to 6 learners in each.
Each team must be registered as a participating team.
Class Pack Challenge Grant for 2 classes includes:
- 5 x EV3 Core Sets or 5 Spike Prime Sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics tables
- 5 x laptops with EV3 software installed
- 2 x Team Meeting Guides for Coaches
- 10 x Engineering Notebooks, 1 per team
- 60 Celebration Medals for all participating learners
- 2 x Team Registration Fees
The coaches/mentors is required to send session report at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
After the celebration event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. If a next implementation is not planned, the Returnable Equipment (EV3 Core sets/ Spike Prime sets, Challenge sets, robotics tables and laptops) must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.
OPTION 2: CHALLENGE SINGLE TEAM GRANT
Challenge Single Team Grants are for single teams, in under-served communities. At the end of the 12 sessions a Celebration Event will be held at a selected Regional FIRST LEGO League Event. Teams must register for the Regional Event.
There can be up to 10 learners in a team and all participants must be between ages 9 and 16 – the 1st of January of the year they want to participate.
Challenge Single Team Grant includes:
- 1 x EV3 LEGO Mindstorms Core set or LEGO Education Spike Prime set
- 1 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge set
- 1 x Engineering Notebooks for participating learners
- 1 x Team Meeting Guide for Coaches
- Team Registration Fee
At the Regional FIRST LEGO League Event, the teams will receive medals and possible Awards.
The coaches/mentors are required to send weekly reports at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to email@example.com
After the Regional Event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. If not, the Returnable Equipment must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.
Grant applications for 2021 closed.
New Grant documents will be released soon.