There are 2 Challenge Grants options:
- Class Pack Grant – 30 learners in 5 teams, must be implemented for 2 classes
- Single team Grant – 10 learners in 1 team
FIRST Lego League Challenge is a 12 session programme for learners aged 9 -16 years and each session should be at least an hour and a half in duration.
OPTION 1: CHALLENGE CLASS PACK GRANT
Challenge Class Pack Grants can be implemented at schools or Community Centres, especially in under-served communities. After the 12 sessions, the teams will be sharing their STEM journey with parents, educators and learners, at a FIRST Lego League Challenge Celebration Event at their school or Community Centre. A FIRST SA representative could be invited to the Challenge Celebration Event!
With a class of 30 learners, you could have 5 teams of up to 6 learners. Coaches have to register all their teams at FIRST Challenge Team Registration
Class Pack Challenge Grant includes: for 2 classes
- 5 x EV3 Core Sets or 5 Spike Prime Sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics tables
- 5 x laptops with EV3 software installed
- 2 x Team Meeting Guides for Coaches
- 10 Engineering Notebooks, 1 for each team
- 60 Celebration Medals, for all participating learners
- 10 x Team Registration
The coaches/mentor is required to send weekly reports at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to email@example.com
After the celebration event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. If a next implementation is not planned, the Returnable Equipment (EV3 Core sets/ Spike Prime sets, Challenge sets, robotics tables and laptops) must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.
OPTION 2: CHALLENGE SINGLE TEAM GRANT
Challenge Single Team Grants are for single teams, in under-served communities. There can be up to 10 learners in a team and all participants must be between ages 9 and 16 – the 1st of January of the year they want to participate.
At the end of the 12 sessions a Celebration Event will be held at a selected Regional FIRST LEGO League Event. A Coach must register the team FIRST Challenge Team Registration for a Regional Event.
Challenge Single Team Grant include:
- 1 x EV3 LEGO Mindstorms Core set or LEGO Education Spike Prime set
- 1 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge set
- 1 x Engineering Notebooks per 1 team
- 1 x Team Meeting Guides for Coaches
- Team Registration
At the Regional FIRST LEGO League Event, the teams will receive medals and possible Awards.
The coaches/mentors is required to send weekly reports at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
After the Regional Event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. if not the Returnable Equipment must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.
Applications for this grants are closed.
New Grant documents will be released soon