CHALLENGE GRANTS – 2021
There are 2 Challenge Grant options:
- Class Pack Grant – 30 learners in 5 teams, which must be implemented for 2 classes
- Single team Grant – 10 learners in 1 team
The FIRST Lego League Challenge is a 12 session program for learners 9 -16 years. Each session should be at least an hour and a half in duration.
OPTION 1: CHALLENGE CLASS PACK GRANT
Challenge Class Pack Grants can be implemented at schools or Community Centres, especially in under-served communities. After the 12 sessions, the teams will share their STEM journey with parents, educators and learners, at a FIRST Lego League Challenge Celebration Event at their school or Community Centre. A FIRST SA representative could be invited to the Challenge Celebration Event!
In a class of 30 learners, you could have 5 teams with up to 6 learners in each.
Each team must be registered as a participating team.
Class Pack Challenge Grant for 2 classes includes:
- 5 x EV3 Core Sets or 5 Spike Prime Sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge sets
- 2 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics tables
- 5 x laptops with EV3 software installed
- 2 x Team Meeting Guides for Coaches
- 60 Engineering Notebooks, 1 per participant
- 60 Celebration Medals, for all participating learners
- 2 x Team Registration Fees
The coaches/mentors is required to send session report at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
After the celebration event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. If a next implementation is not planned, the Returnable Equipment (EV3 Core sets/ Spike Prime sets, Challenge sets, robotics tables and laptops) must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.
OPTION 2: CHALLENGE SINGLE TEAM GRANT
Challenge Single Team Grants are for single teams, in under-served communities. At the end of the 12 sessions a Celebration Event will be held at a selected Regional FIRST LEGO League Event. Teams must register for the Regional Event.
There can be up to 10 learners in a team and all participants must be between ages 9 and 16 – the 1st of January of the year they want to participate.
Challenge Single Team Grant includes:
- 1 x EV3 LEGO Mindstorms Core set or LEGO Education Spike Prime set
- 1 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics Challenge set
- (1 x FIRST LEGO League Robotics table)
- 10 x Engineering Notebooks for participating learners
- 1 x Team Meeting Guide for Coaches
- Team Registration Fee
At the Regional FIRST LEGO League Event, the teams will receive medals and possible Awards.
The coaches/mentors are required to send session reports at the completion of each session. A template will be provided. These reports must be emailed to email@example.com
After the Regional Event, a subsequent implementation may be negotiated. If not, the Returnable Equipment must be returned to FIRST SA, to ensure that other learners benefit from this grant as well.