FREQUENTLY ASK QUESTIONS
COACHES, EDUCATORS, PARENTS AND ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE EXPLORE PROGRAM.
With this page we will try to answers all your Explore program questions.
GENERAL EXPLORE QUESTIONS
1. Do we need other LEGO to build our solution?
No, you do not need any LEGO, other than your Explore set and your WeDo 2.0 Core Set.
2. How old must the kids be to participate in Explore Program?
3. How many WeDo 2.0 sets do I need per team?
One WeDo 2.0 Core Set per team. The Team Meeting Guide will guide you on sharing.
4. Where can I buy the WeDo 2.0 kit?
In South Africa, the LEGO Education Retailer is: Hands On Technologies – https://www.handsontech.co.za/ You only need to buy the WeDo 2.0 Core Set and you can order it from them.
5. Do I require any special skills?
The really cool thing about FIRST LEGO League Explore is that all skill levels are welcomed and needed, technical or non-technical. Teams need all kinds of skills and creativity to succeed, so what are you good at? Chances are we have a job for you. And you will probably learn a few new skills while you are here. The most successful team coaches are people with at least an interest in science and technology and in helping kids discover and learn.
FIRST LEGO League Explore welcomes everyone, with or without special skills. Like our coaches say: “This is the only sport where if you show up, you can play.”
6. What is the time commitment?
Ideally the teams will meet once a week, for an hour to 1 ½ hours. You don’t want to make the sessions too long as we are dealing with smaller children. There are 12 sessions in the Engineering Notebook that kids will need to complete, so you will need 12 weeks/sessions to run the full program and 1 day when you go to your celebration event.
7. What happens at a Celebration event?
Your team will be allocated an area where they will display their Show Me poster and Team Model.
Reviewers will ask the team questions about their journey, their solution, the programming, and the model. All team members will be encouraged to answer questions.
Sample review questions and the review sheet that the reviewers will use can be found at:
Remember it is a celebration event and not a judging session! Teams will be given awards based on the team’s strengths. Please click here for a list of possible awards.
8. If I host a Celebration Event at my school, who do I use as reviewers?
You can ask other teachers and parents to be reviewers. They will use the reviewing sheet to rate the project, programming, model, etc, so they do not need to have any technical skills. You can also ask interested people in your community.
9. Can I invite somebody from FIRST SA to attend the Celebration Event at my school?
We encourage you to invite our Regional Managers and National Management to your Events. We would love to attend the Celebration Events at schools.
10. Who else can I invite to the Celebration Event?
Parents, family and friends. Teachers, not only from your own school, but from other schools as well.
11. Where can I find the WeDo2.0 software?
12. What are the system requirements to download to WeDo 2.0 software?
|Processor||1.5GHz Intel® Core Duo||1.5GHz Intel® Core Duo||1.5GHz Intel® Core Duo1.||1.40GHz Intel® Celeron® 2955U dual-core||iPad 3 / iPad mini|
|RAM||>1.5GB||2GB / 4GB||>1.5GB||4GB|
|Available disk space||2GB|
|Operating system||Mac OCX 10.10||Windows 10 (version 14393)||Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (32/64-bit)||Chrome OS version 50 or above||Android 4.4.2 KitKat||iOS 8.1 or above|
|Extra||BLED112 Bluetooth low power dongle||Internet connection||Camera|
|NB Not all Android tablets are supported – check with LEGO Education first|
13. What training do I need, as a coach, on the WeDo 2.0 software?
No training needed. The Team Meeting Guide, Engineering Notebook and the WeDo 2.0 Projects will guide you. But, you can use the teacher guides at https://education.lego.com/en-us/support/wedo-2/teacher-guides if you want to get a head start. There are also some useful e-learning videos on https://elearning.legoeducation.com/wedo-2-0 to help you get ready for your season.
14. How can I make it easier for the kids, to remember which Program Blocks to use?
WeDo2.0 Program Blocks https://education.lego.
Make a printout of these pages and put it up in the class, so that the kids can look at it when they’re not sure which blocks to use while programming.
15. Where can I find some more Explore Resources? FIRST Resources:
16. Where can I find more info on Explore Grants?
17. What age groups are targeted for Explore Grants?
Age 6-10 years
18. Who can apply for Explore Grants?
For Class Pack Grants – Schools, Community Centres and NGO’s – in under-served Communities
For Single Team Grants – Single teams in under-served communities.
19. Where can I find a Grant Application form?
If you have any other questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org